Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Although I Would Love to Meet Scott Bakula

The AWP in Atlanta was not as exciting as I thought it was going to be, and I suppose I am disappointed because I used to spend a lot of time with musicians. Musicians are, as a bunch, really fun people who are used to being on the road for huge stretches of time and hanging out with whoever is there.

Musicians are also yes people, which means that if you say, "Hey, I know! Let's jump off the second floor balcony into the hotel pool!" They will say, "Sure!"

or:

"Hey, let's stay up all night, pick up random people in your tour van, and have a naked party in the middle of the woods!" They will say, "That sounds awesome!"

Well, writers are not yes people. If you say, "Hey, let's go to this really great place for dinner that takes a 10-minute cab ride," they will say, "Let's just pick something up at the horrible cafe next door."

I think at some point, writers were yes people, and therefore, more interesting and people wanted to read what they had to say.

I was talking to my new friend Lightning Bliss, and I said, "If the AWP was an acting convention, then the most famous actor here would be Scott Bakula."

He laughed, but then disagreed with me. "That's not entirely true. I would say that the best actor would be Charlie Sheen...but he would only show up for one event, have a few drinks and leave."

No comments: