Friday, June 19, 2009

At the Movies

Last Tuesday I went to the Mamaroneck Clearview Cinemas box office and requested two tickets to The Hangover. The lady behind the glass window asked me for a photo ID. This took me aback and I asked her why. I noticed that she didn't ask the couple ahead of me on line for their ID. 

"It's a rated-R movie," she said. 

This has happened to me before, being carded at a movie theater. About nine years ago, I couldn't get into the movie Erin Brokavich and the box office lady wanted to shield a teenager from the profanities of hexavalent chromium contamination. 

But that was when I was 27. Now I am 36 years old. I might look young, but I don't think I look like I'm still in high school.

"Wait a minute," I said. "Do you think that I'm UNDERAGED? You think that I might be 16 years old?"

She rolled her eyes and said, "COULD be!" in a very sarcastic tone, like, YEAH girl. Duh. 

I showed her my ID and watched her jaw drop. 

No comments: