Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Timeless Celebrity Craziness

My friend Andrew and I were talking on the telephone the other day and we LOVE to gossip about celebrities. One time, he had gotten me a subscription to The National Enquirer, not only for the gossip, but also for the crossword puzzles that are easy enough that even I can complete them and of course, The BLUE DOT! 

And if you don't know about the blue dot, then you've never cracked open a National Enquirer. 

After Andrew got me that subscription for my birthday, I started to get all this crazy junk mail. Apparently, a National Enquirer reader is the target audience for porcelain kitten statues and hideous garments from a myriad of ugly clothing manufacturers. 

One of the things I miss about living in Mount Kisco is that the library carried the National Enquirer. It really is the only library I've ever been in which carried that periodical. I used to stop by on my way to the post office to read the current issue. 

For some reason, the library had the current issue, but no back issues you could take out. So you would always have to get to the library each week to look at the gossip. And would it make me seem ridiculous when I admit that when the next Monday rolled around and I had missed last week's issue, I would actually be a little sad? 

Anyway, we were talking about the Miley Cyrus and I said,

"Well, before you know it, her parents will be pimping her out just like Alyssa Milano's parents did in the eighties."

To which Andrew replied:

"We should start a new blog that compares today's celebrity craziness with celebrity craziness in the past. We could call it Celebrity Craziness--Yesterday and Today."

I'm sure lots of people would be interested in comparative essays on celebrity gossip. 


No comments: