Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Food Meme

Taken from running42k.

1. How do you like your eggs?
Scrambled, but cooked over-easy.

2. How do you take your coffee/tea?

Lots of milk, lots of sugar.

3. Favorite breakfast food?

Lemon Sour Cream Pancakes

4. Peanut butter - smooth or crunchy?

Smooth.

5. What kind of dressing on your salad?
My mother’s ginger dressing

6. Coke or Pepsi?

Coke.

7. You’re feeling lazy, what do you make?

Alan Alda’s Baked Pasta

8. You’re feeling really lazy. What kind of pizza do you order?
Plain, I’m a purist.

9. You feel like cooking. What do you make?

Roasted Tomato Soup (it takes a bazillion hours and is too delicious for words)

10. Do any foods bring back good memories?
My mother makes the best curries. They’re so delicious, especially on a cold winter’s day like today. When I was younger, I would ask her to make it every day and she said, “If I made it every day, you’d get tired of it.” This has never happened.

11. Do any foods bring back bad memories?
Raw tomatoes. My grandmother used to make us all eat raw tomatoes, whole. The local farmer in the small Japanese village would bring us fresh tomatoes all the time, so we always had a bunch on hand. She gave them to us because she was a lazy cook. I just hated, hated, hated, the glop, the mushy texture, the yucky peel. Now I can only eat cooked tomatoes or very VERY thinly sliced tomatoes with NO GLOP. Once, my grandmother said that if I didn’t eat the morning tomato, I would have to hold it all day. Sometime in the afternoon, my cousin Tanya said to me, “You know, I feel bad. I’d eat it for you, but now it just looks rotten.”

12. Do any foods remind you of someone?
Raw Tomatoes- grandmother
Raw Eggplant – grandmother (my father, to this day, refuses to believe that his mother fed us raw eggplants – even though my cousins and I were all there to witness this.)


13. Is there a food you refuse to eat?

Stinky tofu, chocolate-covered ants, pigeon feet, chicken feet, beans, duck blood, cow tongue, pig intestines, basically anything my father says is “chicken.”

14. What was your favorite food as a child?

Curries!

15. Is there a food that you hated as a child but now like?

Chickpeas. I’ve discovered that if you grind anything up, fry it, and pour delicious sauce on it, it will taste GOOD.

16. Is there a food that you liked as a child but now hate? My likes and hates change day by day.

17. Favorite fruit and vegetable:

Japanese momo (peach) – at 4 for $100, they better be delicious (and they are).
Spinach – great cooked and raw, and of course, makes you strong.

18. Favorite junk food:

Doritos! Last year, I had a conversation with a vegan, and I told him that I could never turn vegan because of Doritos. I thought he would think I was gross, but he looked right at me and said, “Doritos. Yeah. They’re GOOD.”

19. Favorite between meal snack:
Nutella Marshmallow Panini with Italian Bread

20. Do you have any weird food habits?
I eat all the chunks in chunky ice creams (like Americone Dream) first. This drives Peter CR-A-ZY.

21. You’re on a diet. What food(s) do you fill up on?

I’d drink lots of water and I’d eat the Trader Joe’s Multi-Grain Cereal.

22. You’re off your diet. Now what would you like?

Macaroni and Cheese with Cougar Gold Cheese.

23. How spicy do you order Indian/Thai?

Medium.

24. Can I get you a drink?

Passion-Fruit Margarita please.

25. Red wine or white?

I know red is better for you, but I like cold beverages, so white. But sometimes my dad refrigerates red wine for me. Is that bad?

26. Favorite dessert?

My mother’s cheesecake is the best…EVER.

2 comments:

running42k said...

Any chance the recipes for 3 and 9 can get posted?

plue said...

The Lemon Sour Cream Pancakes are in "The Joy of Cooking" cookbook (as far as copyright goes, am I allowed to post it?). The Roasted Tomato Soup recipe belongs to a friend who got it from her chef-ex-boyfriend. I'll ask her if it's okay to post.