Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I Was In Shit-cago And I Didn't Hate It

I went to the AWP conference in Chicago and although I don't enjoy Chicago in the wintertime, I didn't have the worst time. That's about the best thing I can say about Chicago.

It's a city that always "Blizzards on my ass." A phrase I came up with the last time I was in Chicago during the winter. We were having a leisurely lunch at Greektown when all-of-a-sudden I looked up and I couldn't see across the street because of the white blur of snow that appeared out of nowhere.

The thing about going to a city for a conference is that it doesn't really matter what city the conference is at because you only hang out in one building for the most part. And the bar at that building. The very expensive bar that charges $12 for a mixed drink. $12 DOLLARS!! Suffice it to say, I NURSED that vodka tonic as long as I could. So long that all the ice melted.

Another thing about the conference is that I regressed back to high school. There was a girl there who is a bit standoffish at times and I felt myself having my feelings hurt because she seemed to be actively shutting me out of conversations and I don't think it was my imagination that her friends seemed to really not want to talk to me.

When I mentioned this to my friend Jim, he said, "I don't think she likes me either. I think it's because she's jealous we look so young and SHE looks OLD!"

I don't think that there's anything that can cut a woman in her thirties to the quick faster than telling her that she looks OLD.

Anyway, this really touched me and made me feel really gooey inside.

No comments: