Monday, February 25, 2008

A Little Fonduddy

After our experience at The Melting Pot, Peter and I decided to try to make fondue at home using the fondue pot we got at our engagement party...about three-and-a-half years ago. Yes, finally putting that to good use. Now if only someone fancy would visit us, we could break out the Wedgewood Crystal still in their boxes.

We tried this recipe from All Recipes and what we got was a clump o' mess in a vat of white wine. It was a clump of delicious mess, but did not get nice and creamy like a real fondue. I think it may be because we used Jarlsberg Lite Cheese instead of Swiss. Y'know, because we're watching our weight while eating a huge vat of melted cheese.

I might try this again with other cheeses or maybe use a different recipe, because no matter how much I was whippin' that cheese, it would not melt. It would kind of melt when you whipped it, but then once you stopped for one second because your arm felt like it was going to fall off, it turned back into its clumpy old self.

Peter called it Molten Terminator Cheese.

At one point, Peter got a bit of semi-melted cheese on his piece of bread and it was stringing everywhere, so I said, "Here, let me help you with that." I took my fondue skewer and grabbed at this tiny piece of stringy cheese. But because the cheese on the bread had already cooled off, when I pulled at the sting, it brought the whole thing back down and plopped back into the pot.

I cannot relate how funny this was, but even now whenever Peter says, "Here, let me help you with that," it CRACKS ME UP.

No comments: